Friday, September 12, 2008

Step 12a - Math lesson for myself...

OK - so let's do some math...

If I filled the hopper with 10 bags on Sunday afternoon and refilled it to almost exactly the same level 4.5 days later - how much equivalent oil did the boiler use?

By the stats I have:
One ton of pellets is the same as 120 gallons of #1 heating oil.
1 Bag (40 pounds) of pellets is therefore 2.4 gallons of oil.

If over 4.5 days there were 7 bags used, then the boiler has used 1.55 bags per day.
Times 2.4 gallons each, it's used 3.73 gallons per day.
Over 4.5 days it's burned the equivalent of 16.8 (+/-) gallons of oil.

By today's prices on the old fuel oil calculator, my cost per million BTU is $15.51 for pellets (at $229 a ton) - compare that to oil which is $43.30 per million BTU (at $4.78 a gallon last time I called to ask prices). About a third of oil... Almost... So far... Hmmm... I'll be doing a long-term average, for sure... Stay tuned.

The kitchen windows have been standing open the last 4 days to get the heat off the boiler by making it heat the house. I think we actually will NEED a hot tub! - bummer... Maybe I could make one for the chickens, too... Throw in a rubber duckie, some veggies, some salt and pepper... j/k

I have not yet had to clean out any real ash, though I did remove about 4 measuring cups of glowing pellets last night to see what was happening with them... They would have made great grilling material :)

No comments: