Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Step Seven - well, Six-and-a-half...

The next two evenings were spent raising the last trusses, blocking, putting in the runners that tie them all together, making plumb, and bracing off. There was cursing... Somehow I think I wronged a Douglas Fir in another life and it's getting back at me in this one... Sometimes I have to beat those nails like a rented mule to get them to go anywhere...




Last night I sheathed the gable trusses and put up the lookouts. I have a 4 day weekend coming up - hopes are that I'll have it edged, decked, and papered by the 6th - then it can start drying out after all the rain we've been having - and then rain while I'm trying to shingle it off... Ever run a chalkline in the rain? sigh...


There was a visitor to the chicken tractor last night as I was sheathing the gable rafters - lots of flapping and a couple of squawks until they figured out they needed to be quiet - a raptor of some kind had landed and was peeking down at the chickens while keeping an eye on me...


I barely got a phonecam picture before it took off. Initially, I thought it was a juvenile Peregrine, but now I'm not so sure. The coloring is more like a Northern Harrier, though the size is right for either... If my thumb wasn't so big or the button not so small, I might have quickly gotten another picture... Maybe I'll stake out a couple of Beanie Babies in the yard and see if it comes back and takes the bait...

Nature does nothing uselessly.
~Aristotle






No comments: